Monday, January 16, 2012

My Low Key Obsession with Face Primers--Revlon Edition

Greetings!

I'm pretty sure that if you ask any person that is obsessed with makeup that they will be able to tell you what product that they just can't get enough of, no matter the brand, consistency or its effectiveness--they just must have more of it.  Now, obsessing over makeup is one thing but fawning over a particular makeup product is another.  This product is normally the product that we consistently sought out despite our growing collection and will always continue to go after it.  Mines happens to be face primer.  Let me explain....

When I first started out with makeup I never wore face primer because I figured that there was no use to it.  That was until I was introduced to the powers of Milk of Magnesia (that's another post) and I was hooked.  The use of face primer aids in neutralizing the face palette for even distribution of foundation or powder and it can also prompt you to use less foundation because it will go on smoother with it.  At the current time of this post I have about six primers in my possession and I'm sure it will continue to grow once I find the "next best face primer." 

A couple of weeks ago I trekked to my nearest Ulta for no particular reason (this is how I end up spending money that I shouldn't) since I was in the area I figured, "Hey! Why not!?"  While browsing through the aisles I noticed a new product from Revlon--a face primer!  Needless to say I was getting not one but TWO since it was buy one, get one half off.  One is a color correcting primer and the other a perfecting primer.  The purpose of a color correcting primer is to neutralize any discoloration or hyperpigmentation of the skin before applying makeup or when used alone in addition to what it is already supposed to do.  The perfecting primer is supposed to diminish the appearance of pores and fine lines.

Hmmmmm......I know you're wondering, what do they look like and are they good? 

Take a look:


Revlon PhotoReady Color Correcting Primer

Revlon PhotoReady Perfecting Primer
 
Side by Side

As you can probably see the correcting primer is pink (on the left) and the perfecting primer is white (on the right).

Here are some swatches of the products:


Straight out of the tube
Product rubbed onto the skin
I think it does a really good job so far.  If you are already familiar with Revlon PhotoReady products, in particular the foundation, then you know that there are tiny shimmer apparent and these primers are no different.  It isn't a problem for me especially since you can't see it as you can tell in the above photo.  It does leave a matte finish other than the light shimmer and DOES NOT leave a white cast on your face.  Something that is almost typical in face primers but seems to be changing in the beauty industry.  The price is fairly reasonable coming in at $12.99 but with a BOGO and the usual coupons from Ulta you can have each for about $8 apiece.  These are also available at your local drugstore.

I have worn the perfecting primer only once but I want to wear it longer and come back with a more thorough review.  Expect the same with the color correcting primer as well.  : )  I hope that you all find some use for this post as you go out and venture on finding your favorite primer.

*These products were purchased by me and these opinions are mine.*

What do you think?  Yay or Nay?

7 comments:

  1. glad you tried this! i wasn't the biggest fan of the foundation, so the primer didn't intrigue me much. i had the first revlon primer...but i prefer that in the winter months. this seems better for year round. i have a new found love for the new mousse foundation that i'm about to review.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant wait to see your review on these, especially the Perfecting one. I love that its in a pump bottle.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @yummy, yay! i can't wait to read your thoughts on that mousse foundation!

    @destinee, me too! pump bottles always win for me

    ReplyDelete
  4. I need to try this! Funny thing though...I was going to buy the Revlon Photo Ready Foundation a couple of weeks ago but got turned off by the $14 price tag (meanwhile I bought a $70 Tom Ford foundation stick...lol.). I don't know, I have it in my head that drugstore makeup should never be more than $8...lol AND smh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tom Ford is worth it! Indulgence is fun every now and again. :)

      Delete
  5. Great review. I haven't seen these, or maybe I have and just thought they was the photo ready foundation in fair.... I like primers to, it makes everything that much easier. I look forward to reading your reviews.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! I was curious about both products,and hesitant about making a purchase. I've been using Smashbox primer for yrs,but I want to try something inexpensive, and gets the job done. I'm going to give the primer a try, thanks girly ;)

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind?

About Me

My photo
The Cosmetic Diet Blog was designed with the fun, flirty, and sassy woman in mind. Here you will find product reviews, beauty hauls, and candid conversations we can all enjoy. I look forward to sharing with you what I enjoy about being a young and vibrant woman in the city!